Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Design: Poster Art, A Guilty Pleasure

I have a soft spot in my art and design heart for poster art. There, I admitted it. I know it's not glamorous, and I know it's considered by many to be a kind of 'low art', but I love it anyway. I've often thought that, if I could re-design it entirely, the interior of my life would be an art deco high rise - very clean - with poster art on the walls. (But what would an art deco baby's nursery look like, I ask you?)
My studio is filled with clippings and bits of art that inspire me, and among these are several 'magpied' posters. I stole them because I love them, and they are some of my most prized possessions.
So, without further delay, here is a brief homage to poster art:

I know part of the reason I love bold, graphic designs can be blamed on an early introduction to Aubrey Beardsley:





Still one of my favorites, the eternal Alphonse Mucha:




A Classic:

Love:





A Polish poster:

Posters from the USSR:



AND some modern producers who will be quite happy to sell you gorgeous copies of their art:

Lovely work from St Louis by The Bungaloo:





Local St Louis Favorites, Firecracker Press:




Now go buy some art!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin